Friday, April 24, 2009

An Interesting Few Weeks


Let's start with the picture. I was meandering around town taking pictures when I came across a smoking trash bin. This was shocking for a couple reasons. First off, no one uses trash bins around here so what could be burning and secondly, people were literally standing around casually conversing within six feet of the smouldering trash bin without blinking an eye. Of course, I took multiple pictures but at least I was thinking someone should be doing something about it the whole time I was snapping away. (I do have some great shots of the smoke billowing out)! After no one seemed ready to remedy the situation I took the bull by the horns and attempted to track down some help. I knew there were police officers about a block away but the last I saw them they were busy chatting with a pair of drunks outside the Ratusz. I headed toward the Rynek hoping to catch up with the otherwise occupied police officers. Gone! I returned to the burning bin to see if someone came to their senses. The bin was fully ablaze with the same people continuing their conversation nearby. No time for more pictures so I head back to the Rynek again. This time I ran into another police officer who didn't seem too excited to talk to the dumb, non-Polish speaking American. After repeated attempts at charades (which I obviously suck at) I remembered I had pictures. Funny, her level of interest definitely escalated when she saw my pictures!!!! Her pace picked up and by the time we arrived help was on it's way. Not sure if I qualify as a hero but I did work up a sweat!!
Several days later Craig and I were at our favorite people-watching watering hole when yet another local drunk made his way toward us. I must say the drunks in town are harmless and do provide some comedic relief but this guy was a bit different in that he was covered - and I mean his whole face - in dried blood from an obvious head wound. He looked like an extra from a slasher movie! Not sure if he was on the receiving end of a hit over the head with a bottle or he fell off the bench he fell asleep on. At any rate he wandered up to us, mumbled something in Polish and left when he discovered we were dumb, non-Polish speaking Americans. Long story short...he was looking for a cigarette. The guy didn't need a cigarette, he needed a boatload of stitches!
In a complete twist...I got some mail recently. It was my Polish credit card! The one I applied for two weeks before I left for my ill-fated trip to Italy in February!!!!! I guess when they mean it will arrive in ten days they really mean several months!!! By the way, I now have all my stolen credit cards, passport and driver's license replaced and in my possession. Oh wait...my Polish residency card has been applied for and I'm told should arrive in about a month - not sure if it is a calendar-month or a Polish-month! I figure I will have it in my hands just before it expires in June when we begin the process all over again so we can stay here until October!
Now that my passport is in my hands I can once again start some travel-planning. The recent plans are for a trip to Rome and Paris in May and June. We will be in Dublin in July for a Bruce Springsteen concert and in London with Erica and Jeremy in August. Finally someone will go on the London Eye with me (thanks Jeremy)! So many places yet to explore and I'm bound and determined to see them all!
Hope the sun is shining wherever you are.
Happy Birthday, Dad. Love you.

No comments: