Friday, July 17, 2009

Friday Free Style

...with the obligatory Rynek fountain.




It is just starting to hit me that in a short 2-1/2 months we will be heading home. I'm already starting to pack up clothes, shoes, purses - anything that I won't be needing in the upcoming months - which is kind of a futile exercise since the packing boxes won't show up until September and I only have so much space to begin with - but somehow the process needs to start. Maybe it is my way of preparing myself for the inevitable. My extended vacation is coming to an end and the good-byes here will be hard. I was reading a book recently that talks about our life experiences and the importance of sharing them. That it is essential for us to share our experiences so our brain can better turn them into lasting memories. Maybe that is why I started this blog. It was my way of turning this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity into incredible, lasting memories. Thanks for taking the journey with me.

I am still incredibly behind in sorting through all my pictures so have decided to post some of the pictures I've been playing around with. My photoshop addiction will have to be addressed at a later date but until then I'm going to burden you with some of my efforts to date. Starting with this...
...or what about this...





And of course there are flowers...



...and more flowers...




Then there is Craig...



Taking a picture of this...





Enough already....on to Friday Free Style


- I forgot how stoic the Polish people can be until we went to Dublin. It is unusual for a stranger to nod or speak a greeting to a stranger here but in Dublin someone actually stopped to ask if we needed some help as we studied a map. Not to forget the taxi driver and the many stranger/friends we met at the concert. So what was wrong with me wanting to talk to the E-Street Band?


- After a four week absence from the market shelves they finally re-stocked yeast!! I bought three packages just in case there is another shortage and because I love making messes like this...



- Did you know they have no checking accounts in Poland?
- How long will it be before do widzenia, dziękuję, przepraszam, dzien dobry, czerwona wino and piwo disappear from our vocabulary?
- Harder still...I've taken a liking to the European style of eating. Fork in left hand, knive in right hand and no setting the silverware down between bites. Efficient but not acceptable in the US without Ann Landers thinking you lack manners.
- How come we had two days of cultural immersion classes before moving here but we're on our own coming back home?
- No Goodwill in Poland. People leave their "no longer needed" clothes near the garbage cans. Not sure what happens to them but our neighbors may want to get to our trash cans before pick-up because I'm leaving a lot behind. If I didn't wear it the past two years it isn't making the trip home.
- I'm watching a re-run of Desparate Housewives I've already seen twice and will watch again tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. when it is replayed. Same goes for Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Crossing Jordan...
- Did you know I am the only person in Poland who picks up their dog's poop?
Enough of this for today. We are heading to a safari zoo in the Czech Republic tomorrow and hope to spend a quiet Sunday doing what we do best....wandering around town taking pictures.
Pay it forward with a smile today!

No comments: