Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ranting and Raving

Maybe it has been the daily rain and overall lack of sufficient sun to maintain even a hint of a healthy glow but some of the habits of the Polish people have driven me to the rant stage. Yes, we all have shortcomings (and I'm sure I will have plenty to say about that when I reaclimate myself to American culture come October) but for today my focus will be on manners.


1) If you insist on walking with your eyes firmly focused on the ground directly at your own feet why is it my fault should our crossing paths cause one of us to veer? And, why is it always me???


2) When said veering occur what is wrong with saying excuse me?

3) No need for death stares when I move your shopping trolley from the dead center of the aisle where you left it. If you are looking for yeast it will be at least another month anyway.

4) Running down pedestrians with your car in a parking lot with speed bumps is not an Olympic sport so knock it off! Making eye contact with the pedestrian usually means you see them and will let them pass - not cause to gun it!

5) Blocking already narrow sidewalks to chat with friends makes walking past problematic. If I understood what you were saying perhaps I would join in; but for now just let me pass without the guilt.

6) Why the need to drive at warp speed down narrow, cobblestoned roads?

7) When driving warp speed down narrow, cobblestoned roads after heavy rains you cause massive amounts of road spray to hit unsuspecting pedestrians trying to manuever around sidewalk chit chatters.

8) When riding your bikes at nearly warp speed on crowded sidewalks could you try saying something like, "coming through" or "on your left" or something at all?

9) Why do people need to constantly try to get my dog to come to them? I know he is adorable but sometimes we just want to get our business done (if you get my drift) and walk home.


But to save face with my Polish friends I also recognize Americans can be loud, pushy, self-absorbed and brash - but we do say excuse me. Now I feel better!


Pictures of the day:

This is Craig walking down the narrow, cobblestoned road leading to our apartment. How would you like your bedroom window on the ground level of that apartment building? FYI: Our road deadends about 1/4 mile from this point. There is a hotel there that we think caters to German tourists!! This is not an uncommon sight.





This is what happens when you park on narrow, cobblestoned roads. It makes me laugh!


Below is a picture from the Dvor Kralove zoo in the Czech Republic. If you check up on me you will note I am missing a doo dad over a couple of letters in the spelling of the zoo. I am too lazy to download a Czech keyboard when I'm still confused using the Polish one. Besides I don't need one to spell Prague (Praha) and that is the last trip I will be making to the Czech Republic for awhile.

Because of the rain this was the only picture I was able to take outdoors at the zoo. Please notice how the composition forces your eye to move from left to right...artistry at its best!!


No comments: