Monday, July 27, 2009

Gone but not Forgotten

Sorry for the past few days of missed blogging. I'd like to say I was extraordinarily busy but truth be told I spent one day shopping - selfishly for me - the next day catching up on laundry and Friday was our 27th anniversary so blogging didn't hit the top of my list. I usually don't blog when Craig is around because he thinks I spend too much time on the computer as it is so weekends are always off limits for blogging. Enough excuses, right???

We continue to have regular rain and thunderstorms and the resulting mosquitoes are AWFUL!! As much as we prefer to have the house opened up we even closed up the apartment and put on the air conditioning so I could get one night of sleep without waking up with numerous new bites. Remember, we have no screens on our windows, we live on the Odra River and mosquitoes prefer my blood to just about anyone else in Poland so I was thankful for a one night reprieve. Apparently, the city has not been able to spray this year because we have not had two straight days without rain in the forecast. Maybe soon...before I need a transfusion!!

Speaking of rain...we were downtown on Thursday when we saw a good storm brewing. Before we could get under cover the wind picked up and glasses from tables started blowing off tables and crashing to the ground, cafe umbrellas were blowing around the Rynek and dust was swirling all around us. After about 45 minutes hiding under an archway we were able to venture out again. We found out the next day seven people were killed from falling trees and winds had gusted to about 120 mph. I guess it was a storm we shouldn't have taken so casually.

Finally got our new Polish residency cards. I'm thankful for the help 3M provides or we would likely still be standing in line - or worse yet - in the country illegallly!!! Not sure I want to test the Polish police or immigration authorities. I am pleased to report they finally corrected my mother's first name (still not sure why at my age they need to have parental information but that is another story) but created a new birth state for Craig. He no longer was born in Iowa, USA but in Independence, USA. Since we only have two months left here we opted to keep quiet or we might never get the residency cards in our possession. By the way...before we had the new cards in our hands we had to present our expired residency cards to the German passport authorities. Guess it was a good thing I was carrying the temporary (near permanent) sheet of paper the Polish folks gave us "just in case"! After my purse theft in Italy I have this thing about carrying copies of everything and anything I might possibly need...whew....I don't think I want to deal with the German authorities either!

Had a wonderfully, sunny day yesterday so we were finally able to get out to take some pictures around town. When I take pictures I usually strap Oliver's leash through my beltloop to free up both my hands. As I was taking the obligatory fountain picture


Oliver decided to jump on a stranger's lap who was on the bench behind me. He was pretty cozy - and not too sure he wanted to leave the lovely Polish woman - to be dragged around by me. Too bad Craig couldn't get a shot of it. And, thankfully the woman didn't mind the dog!! By the way, this past weekend there was a big film festival in town and these were the chairs for the huge movie screen erected on the Rynek. Heck, if the movies weren't in Polish and the mosquitoes didn't swarm around me I may have been tempted.


Here are some more shots from yesterday's jaunt around town.


Now back to the Rynek where there are always characters like these guys (you should see the guy on the right do Michael Jackson's moonwalk)!

We may have to buy their CD. They are quite talented - always draw a pretty good crowd!
This guy was spending the glorious day practicing his night job...flame throwing!

Heading to the fitness room. Trying to decide if training for a marathon is really in the cards or not!!!!

No comments: