Monday, September 14, 2009

Reflections

Over the past year I have worked hard on improving my photography skills. My early shots often included errant thumbs, the back of stranger' heads and the occasional "plumber's crack" (ok this only happened once but how I missed that in my viewfinder is beyond me)! After a concerted effort I moved past the obvious problems but soon discovered my own shadow could ruin a picture just as much as the back of someone's head. Not to mention shooting into the sun, at the wrong speed with an entirely wrong shutter speed. After tens of thousands of pictures taken I am now beginning to see things beyond the obvious - prisms around the sun, a raindrop on a flower or, my new favorite, reflections in just about anything!

Much like my photography the past two years in Poland altered what I see in life's viewfinder. I have been to countries that never would have made it to my bucket list. I've met people from many different cultures and learned I can survive in a country where very little English is spoken and where my "normal" is anything but. I am now a three-cheek kisser, eat lard on bread, stand patiently in lines and still laugh when all else fails.

I am excited and nervous to move back home. Nervous to go back to something so different from my new "normal". Excited to be back with family and friends who have supported us in so many ways and most of all to see the world through my new and improved view finder!

Enjoy my reflections and start seeing beyond the obvious.

Look what I found in a hole in the wall!




Beauty in Berlin.





London at night.
Pausing on Millienum Bridge in London.
Seeing the light at St. Peter's in the Vatican.

The bright lights of Picadilly in London.




Auschwitz - Birkenau: the most tragically moving experience of my life.



and...last but not least. I took this picture in London. It is a reflection in a window. Look close to see if you recognize anyone!! No alterations were done in the editing of this picture (cool, huh)?


1 comment:

Sister Julie said...

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing, and we'll see you soon for cheesecake!